Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dear Dad

I have so much to thank you for. You have always been there for me, even when you didn't agree with what I was doing, or at the very least, couldn't understand it.

When I was in 9th grade I remember sitting on the back patio with you on the porch swing, chatting about life and asking you about my troubled friend who was considering counseling. You listened, offered observations, and agreed to let me accompany her if she wanted me to. You also admitted that you could never understand completely how life as a teenager was today - it had been a while since you were one - but that you were sure going to try.

One thing I will never forget is your response when I told you I was going to study in England. You said, "I will never understand your passion for travel, because I just have absolutely no desire to go to Europe. But I'm glad you're following your dreams and doing what makes you happy." That meant a lot to me.

I know you sacrificed a lot for the three of us and Mom. You would do anything to keep us warm, fed and happy. As a parent now myself I'm starting to understand that unwavering love for your children.

Thank you, too, for being creative. You built us a playhouse (and let us hammer a few nails), made boats that paddled themselves in the pool, came up with experiments that made a mess in the kitchen but wowed us girls, and crafted an amazing toy car that all three of us could fit in - and steer!

You have always been there and you will always be there for me, and I appreciate you, Dad. Thank you.

Love,
Becky

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I don’t know what to say. Thanks for the kind words. I never lived up to my own expectations as a dad. But I can honestly say I always did my very best. I wasn’t always right, but I always wanted what was best for you. I am very proud of you and your accomplishments and I am sure you will have many more successes as you, with your family, traverse this crazy planet they call “Earth”. With God, you will make it successfully through to the beginning—the beginning of our lives in Heaven and eternity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks, too, for leaving some thoughts!